How is big data changing your industry?
Historically, the view of big data has been that it offers “rear view mirror” insights. You build a big data warehouse, fill it with data, analyse that data and out come your insights. But the proliferation of connected devices is growing exponentially.
In 2013, the number of connected mobile devices in the world outnumbered the Earth’s population and by 2020, there will be 20 billion devices connected to the internet. So, it’s no longer about analytics, it’s about data in motion. Big data changes the nature of how decisions can be made in real time. The sea change is the number of connected devices and we estimate there will eventually be 500 billion devices connected to the internet. That means only 1% of the devices that will be connected to the internet are connected. What’s going to be possible when the remaining 99% are connected?
I don’t think we are keeping pace with the multitude of opportunities big data in motion enables to make meaningful real-time decisions.
What advantage do you believe big data brings to your business?
The IT industry does its best work when the companies all come together on behalf of our customers in a connected community based on standards. If we collect data in realtime as it’s produced and integrate it in a common way, this will be a huge advantage for our customers. If the IT leaders are working in a connected ecosystem, all boats will rise. This will benefit the IT industry and, more importantly, our customers.
What opportunities and challenges do you face ?
There is an enormous amount of money invested in big data, but what do you do with it? The challenge is improving management and improving security. It’s about connecting the dots and establishing a joined-up system. We need to join broken links so we can better help the customer and make better decisions. This won’t happen on its own; leaders in the market need to move in the same direction – not independently.
How will big data change the way you lead?
We are using big data to make real-time decisions and we need to influence people to make decisions differently, rather than estimating the future. Decisions were based on gut feel because there was too long a lag time between data being collected and analyzed. Now we can make informed decisions in real-time – moving from emotive and anecdotal to data-driven decisions. The technological changes are not hard to solve – the hard part is the people part.